Thursday, October 27, 2005

Proud of my Activist Son

Number one son wrote a letter to his school, protesting the banning of red shoelaces. Apparently there's a white supremacist group in the town, and red shoelaces have become their symbol.

He pointed out that banning the symbol will not ban the racist thinking, and that freedom of expression is an important right in our country. He did not, of course, effect a change in their policy; but I am so proud of him for feeling strongly enough to stand up for what he believes. He researched the subject and laid out his argument concisely and coherently. He understood that red shoelaces in and of themselves are not important, but that curtailing our constitutional liberties should not be allowed to happen unchallenged.

I am so proud of him. I am very lucky to have him in my life.